Friday, November 27, 2009

...and boy are my arms tired!!

  From whisking, stirring and making some Thanksgiving food!  It is the day before Thanksgiving, and I am attending a pre-Thanksgiving dinner at my friend's house.  It is a 'potluck' dinner, so each person is in charge of cooking a dish or two.  First, I made brownies with a raspberry swirl covered in white chocolate and salted almonds.  Yum!


My arms were already a little tired from whipping the brownie batter into shape, but then it was time to chop the onions for the turkey stuffing.  Well, my eyes got a work out too!  Cutting onions is supposed to make your eyes tear up, but I was crying like a baby.  It was quite a sight, I am sure.  There were also a few ingredients that needed to be whisked up for the stuffing including heavy cream, some more eggs and chicken broth.

It was hard not to eat all the brownies before the stuffing was done, but it's about ready to come out of the oven.  I am very excited to go to my friend's house to eat it along with the turkey we are going to fry!!




Vocabulary:
1. whip (verb)- whipped, whipping:  to mix or stir something quickly and thoroughly
2. whisk (verb)- whisked, whisking: also to mix or stir somethingly quickly and thoroughly
3. stuffing (noun): a food that goes inside something else, or is cooked inside of something else.
4. ingredients (noun): different food items that are used to make a dish, found in a recipe
5. fry (verb): to cook something in oil
6. batter (noun): a mixture of ingredients that is a thick and has qualities of a solid and a liquid
7. Thanksgiving (proper noun): An American holiday
8. raspberry(noun): a small red berry, a fruit.

Exercise- fill in the blank with a vocabulary word.

1.  My favorite Thanksgiving dish is the _________ that comes out of the turkey.
2.  The instructions in the recipe called for two eggs and a cup of cream to be ____________ together.
3.  I like to have extra _________ cream on my ice cream sundaes.
4.  On the American holiday of ________________ people get together for a big dinner with their family.
5.  We have a berry bush in our yard that grows little red ____________ that we can pick.
6.  When I cook pancakes for breakfast the ________________ gets everywhere.
7.  You can __________  a whole turkey by slowly lowering it into a big tub of hot oil.
8.  A recipe contains instructions that tell you what to do and a list of __________ that tells you what to use.

Grammar point:
 Do you know what a synonym is?  It is a fancy word we use to say two words have the same or similar meanings.  For instance, cup and mug are synonyms.  They are both things we drink out of.  Can you find a pair of synonyms in the vocabulary list?

No comments:

Post a Comment