Sunday, October 18, 2009

Whistler Mountain, British Columbia

        I am eagerly awaiting the 2010 Winter Olympics.  Even though they are still a few months out, I am so excited that I had to write about them.  It is that time of the year when we feel the first chill in the air and the first frost is just around the corner.  In some parts of the country they have already had snow fall!  In Colorado they had to postpone a baseball game because of snow!


      So, why am I so stoked on the Winter Olympics?  I have always enjoyed the competition of the Olympic Games.  When I was a child my family used to gather round the TV and watch the best athletes from around the world face-off in their sport of choice.  The Winter Olympics occur only once every four years.

      One of my favorite sports and one of my favorite hobbies is snowboarding.  I especially look forward to the Winter Olympics for the snowboarding events.  One of the most exciting to watch is Snowboard-Cross which is a heads-up snowboard race. 


  



     Above, is a female snowboarder that I like alot whom I will be rooting for to win gold in 2010.  Her name is Lindsey Jacobellis and she took silver in Itlay in 2006 because of this fall right before the finish line.

Vocabulary:

eagerly (adv.) - to be excited about something
chill (noun) - a feeling of cold
frost (noun) - a thin layer of frozen water, rain or dew
postpone (verb) - to change the time something is going to occur
stoked (adj) - to be very excited about something (especially used by surfers and snowboarders)
competition (noun) - a game or event with clear winners and losers
occur (verb) - to happen, when something happens
heads-up (adj.) - two or more people go at the same time, especially in a race

Vocabulary Exercise:

1.  I woke up and saw ice on my window and knew there would be a layer of _________ outside.
2.  The NOPI National automobile drag races are ________ style drag races.
3.  I feared my English teacher would give me alot of homework and then it _________.
4.  The World Cup is the highest level of international soccer(football) ________ in the world.
5.  Among the things I get ________ about are D&D, snowboarding and videogames.
6.  I will _______ my dinner party so I have time to do all that English homework.
7.  When I get a fever I get a _______ through my body so I feel very cold.
8.  I _______ and excitedly told my students about the exciting science fiction story we are going to read.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the Olympics, too. Whether it's summer or winter, my family is always watching together. I also love the pomp and circumstance of the opening ceremonies. Great post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the Olympics. And I am very excited about seeing Vancouver because this summer I hope to go to the ISFLA conference in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! I love the winter olympics, curling is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete